Square Bamboo Camellia Garden
- Square Bamboo Garden is a park including many sceneries, such as Square Bamboo, Baofeng Shengchu, site of Baofeng Temple, Chunfeng Pavillon, Tea Garden, Camellia Garden and Cemetery of Huotao's concubine.
- The smell of bamboo will caress your face when you enter the garden. Chimonobambusa quadrangularis (square bamboo) is listed as state key protected ornamental plants, which can only be found at Xiqiao Mountain. If moved out of the garden, the body of bamboo will return to round shape within three years. Square bamboo can have a height of three to four meters. It is square shaped with round corners and it feels like a square when you grasp it. The plant has evident joints and narrow and long leaf. This kind of bamboo is slimmer and shorter than other species. There are also other kinds of bamboo in the garden, such as Luohan Bamboo and Pusa Bamboo.
- Passing the bamboo grove, you will see another scenic spot in the Square Bamboo Garden: Tea Garden. Various kinds of tea trees are planted. Some of them are short while others are more then 5 to 6 meters in height. The little lanterns overgrown on the tea trees are tea fruits with light green color. Although they have lovely appearance, they taste bitter and puckery, so they are only used to extract tea oil.
- Xiqiao Mountain is not only a mountain with spring and flowers, also a mountain with a lot of folk legends as well. One of them is about snail without shell and fried crucian.
- A folklore says, once a little monk in the mountain saw everybody eating moon cakes and snails in the Mid-autumn festival, he was so eagerly that he secretly caught snails and crucian, ready to eat. After he removed the tip of the snails and fried the crucian in the pan for a while, the abbot suddenly came back to the temple and scolded him about breaking the Buddhism rule of no killing. At the same time, the abbot put the snails and crucian back to the gully. People are not sure whether the elder monk had magic arts, but the fact is the snails were still alive even they did not have the tip of shells. Also, the crucian wasliving as usual, although the scales of one side of its body has lighter color. It is considered as a wonder in the world.
- Nowadays, snails without shell can be seen everywhere at the bottom of waterfalls or gully, but crucians with lighter color at one side of the body are rare.